Saturday, January 2, 2010

The New Year


I am always a little down and a little hopeful at the beginning of the New Year. Down because I love Christmas and it's over or almost over, but I am also hopeful because the New Year brings a feeling of rebirth, or at least the idea of a rebirth being possible, somehow. I am not sure why the arbitrary changing of the year from one number to another number really means anything but it feels like it for God's sake, wipe the slate clean, it's a new day!

So this January, and it is January now, it's all about getting things done. The "
Do It Now" mentality, that is my New Years mantra - "Do It Now, Do It Now, Do It Now". I'll work out at 10 this morning - NO! Do It Now fatass, I'll call that person in the afternoon - NOW would be better Mr. Procrastinator man. As I am writing this I have also decided to add an additional little resolution - call people. Forget email, call. Personal contact. Make that community, turn work into a community how's that? Okay so it's do it now, and call don't write. Call. And call my mother more often, that too.

The building I work in is 36 stories high and it is completely possible and actually very normal to not see one of your co-workers for the entire year, even people sitting on your floor can be sight unseen for weeks at a time and that can be good or bad (George I'm talking about you here). I have spent days where I don't see my boss for the entire day, even though he sits just down the hall from me. This is part of the reason to call, not write, or maybe even show up and say hello - get to know these folks, these co-worker people.
Do It Now.

So I have it all mapped out. It's in my notebook which means it's noted, I guess, not that I ever really follow through with those notes, I don't even know why I take notes, because I never ever look at them, mostly because I can't read my own handwriting half the time. I can read the doodles though, I'm quite good at doodling and have become a master at creating my own secret little acronyms in my notebook - my favorite is
wtfayta which is What The Fuck Are You Talking About - as I am often lost at what people are trying to communicate in this high tech land, using high tech lingo that is mostly incomprehensible high tech gobbledygook. But, back to the point, I'll stop this year, because, as I said, this is the year of do it now and call don't write and I'm adding no doodling and pay attention. So do it now, call don't write, no doodling and pay attention. DINCDWNDAPA my new acronym. I am committed, I'm ready. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment